1) always be clean. When I see a dirty greasy woman, "polished woman" is about the farthest thing from my mind. Brush your hair, keep your face washed, and wear deodorant. Shower regularly.
2) wear clothes that fit. Clothes that are too big make you look frumpy. Clothes that are too small make you look bigger. So unless you want to look fat and frumpy, buy the right size. I've noticed my size at one place is not the same as my size at another so try stuff on and don't be ashamed of going up a size if a store sizes small.
3)wear actual clothes in public, not pajamas. Wearing your pajamas in public is so sloppy and its quite irritating. honestly. It takes about a minute to throw on jeans. There is no excuse.
4) keep your makeup simple for every day. Enhance your natural features. You want people to notice how pretty YOU are, not your turquoise eyeshadow.
5) be comfortable. If you aren't comfortable in what you're wearing on your body or your face, you will be self conscious. That's not good. Confidence is sexy. Confidence instantly exudes Polished Woman! Put Together Woman!
6) stand up straight. Don't slouch. Squeeze your abs, and you'll automatically stand up better and look thinner. And feel thinner.
7) believe in your abilities. You are stronger than you think. And remember I believe in you!